Old 02-08-21, 08:35 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1129:

Crazy to think that it took until February to have my first sub-zero bicycle commute. Overall this has been a pretty warm winter, although not this week.

-9°F this morning, but no wind so the temp wasn't bad at all. Only had to ride a little over 4 miles to the client location. Goggles icing up was a bit of an issue that I've decided is pretty much inevitable below zero. I arrived at the building rather sweaty. The body definitely isn't very efficient at these temps, as I averaged about 7 mph but felt like I was putting in a good moderate effort to maintain that pace.

I notice my GoPro's battery life is substantially shorter when the temps drop below about 15 degrees. During the summer I can easily get 1.5 hours of footage on a charge, which means I can charge it at work then ride home and back to the office with plenty of battery to spare. The last few days with the cold temps I've been getting about an hour of run time on a charge. This morning the battery died about 1/2 way to the office.

Had a dusting of snow overnight. Not enough for the plows to bother with, and not enough to slow me down. The biggest thing it did was hide the icy patches so there was an occasional surprise. I didn't go down, and didn't even have any real close calls so it's all good.

I couldn't get my pump to work this morning. The presta valves would depress and release air without any resistance, but as soon as I hooked up the pump it wouldn't push air through them. I don't know if something froze up inside of it? I decided I didn't have time to monkey with it this morning and just rode to work on 6.5 lbs of pressure (fat bike) which felt fine up front but was a little squishy in the back. I'll have to try and get the pump going this evening.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 02-08-21 at 09:13 AM.