Old 02-09-21, 09:29 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
There is a relatively-new rail-trail in that area too, Madeline-Likely-Sage Hen etc. Maybe all the way down to Wendel too. It intrigues me because the last time I was out that way, it was still an active rail line! I've checked out some Google street views of it and it looks a little more rugged than the typical FA-6 screenings we get on the rail-trails in Illinois. 25c tires probably not recommended! But you're right, that is one VERY lonely section of road and I can only imagine the trail to be even more so.
You are correct in it being rougher than it appears from a satellite map. I’m not convinced that is actually a recreational- bike trail so much as it’s simply the result of tearing out the existing tracking and then letting nature take its course.
There are many more beautiful areas to gravel bike in Lassen County than that area you speak of and that trail sees little use and...... little maintenance. It does indeed go through Wendel but that town basically dried up and blew away 30 years ago, what’s left more looks like something from “ The Hills Have Eyes” than any town you’d enjoy cycling through.