Old 02-10-21, 02:39 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Lots of folks out there think that if it isn't Italian it isn't worthy. Don't believe it. Quality Japanese bikes are every bit as good if not better and usually far cheaper. I say this as a former owner and restorer of a classic alfa Giulietta and Maserati 3500 GT.

I regularly restore bikes for the bike exchange and am particularly fond of Miyata. including the 1200 in pristine condition like the one pictured that we sold 2 years ago for $600, cleaned and serviced. Personally, my favorite daily rider is an early 80's low end Peugeot that I set up with a 1x7 drive train with upright bars and a Suntour friction thumb shifter. Don't be put off by friction. Set up properly it is as easy to use as Indexing and in some ways is superior plus it is much less fussy and prone to getting out of adjustment. Also, unless you are racing give a thought to upright bars. For my 73 year old back they are much more comfortable. finally, get yourself a nice Brooks leather saddle. In my mind there is just no more comfortable place to rest your tuchus.

And with all the money you are going to save start looking for a vintage mountain bike like this for those times you want to go off road