View Single Post
Old 02-10-21, 04:04 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by tenniscyclist
Just found this forum now and I'm relatively new to road cycling (I've ridden between 20-50 miles nearly 20 times in the past two years), but now I'm sold...ready and eager to buy a lighter, higher quality bike and ride 40-50 miles with a group twice a week or so. I have been cycling with a recreation-mindedgroup of about 20 of all ages...here's what happens: I hold my own with the group for about 30 miles (16-17 mph) but then my legs go...what was possible earlier in the ride is no longer possible...there's nothing left in my legs to hang with the group from that point on. Other than just riding with the group twice a week now and lagging badly after about 30 miles and having to tell a kind soul or two to continue on without me, is there anything I can do in the way of my own training/preparation to speed the process of being able to stay with the group for the final 15-20 miles? Thanks in advance.
I am glad you’re focusing on training rather than equipment. I think that is probably the right approach. I have found with the time gradually working on training allows me to do most of the group writing abilities. Also don’t be afraid to askPeople in your group for suggestions. They may say things like “I keep my tires pumped up to maximum for the flats and reduce for hills”.