View Single Post
Old 02-12-21, 03:19 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I tried those slime tubes on my MTB thinking wow! no more flats. Not true. And every time I tried to check tire pressures I got a S..T load of slime in my tire gauge. Then one day I was unable to check the pressures because the valve cores were solid as a rock and there wasn't going to be any air going in or out of them-NOT GOOD. I hit a patch of goat heads in a county park when I went off trail and no longer have or will ever have slime tubes again. My opinion and experience. Other people's may be different.
I tried them as well because I ride with goat heads. They will self-seal enough to get you home, but not more than that. The flex between the tire & tube means that the sealant can't properly seal, so you have a slow leak anytime you ride after the initial puncture. The goat head usually resulted in a slow leak anyway, so no real advantage. I switched to properly tubeless and it's a much different experience, because the sealant seals the tire.

But for the average rider on good roads, standard tubes. My commuter bike has standard tubes, road and mountain bikes are both tubeless.
Likes For gsa103: