Old 02-13-21, 01:05 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 800 Posts
Originally Posted by D@vid
Thanks for the insights! Yeah, I kind of see the 'not so interesting' areas as part of the diversity of the journey, I like a mix of countryside and big cities and rolling into a town which people rarely visit and spending the evening sitting at the bar and chatting to people is one of the things I most enjoy. I'm actually a bit concerned that I've got too many pretty bits and not enough 'real' ordinary middle America!
I'm the same, I really like that interaction we have with people on bike tours, and also very much exactly why I enjoy travelling through non touristy places.

re worrying about too many pretty bits--I wouldnt worry, you'll have a shedload of nothing and another shedload of "real" ordinary America. I've got numerous stories of "real ordinary America" ---of getting noticed and attracting those type of folks who immediately jump into religious topics, something people in Canada never ever do. Or having a big effing pistol pulled out from under the seat of a car and waved around while the driver of the pickup who (very nicely) came me a lift once, told me about scaring off a cougar with it once, and also in passing, that he thought all the "gays" in San Francisco should be shot.....with his little girl watching all this from between us.....

so yup, you'll not want from meeting very generous folk, and probably a lot of interesting folk too. I'd just use common sense and diplomacy during discussions. Your Blimey accent will help a lot though.
cheers
Likes For djb: