Old 02-13-21, 04:55 PM
PoeCo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Suggestions for lightweight, steel road bikes

I have had the wonderful opportunity to try a lot of bikes (as I know many have), but I am always on the hunt for the ONE road bike that I will hang on to for more than a season or two. I've had titanium, carbon, aluminum and steel but my preference is to have a lightweight, steel road bike. After trying and parting with so many bikes over the years, I've decided that it's just what I prefer/want... but I want it lightweight (e.g. not a Surly, Soma, All-City, etc -- I've had those, and they're fine, but not generally light enough for my purposes - though my Soma wasn't to bad weight-wise).

Currently, I have a carbon gravel bike that works perfectly for those types of rides or that can be used as a sort-of road bike in a pinch, but it's a little heavy to truly be used as a whip when I really want to move. Temporarily, I've been using a 6 year old, rim-brake, Ritchey Road Logic, but it's a little more leaned over than I prefer. There are custom makers out in the universe who can make just about anything as well, but I'm curious what I may be missing and/or if others have suggestions for places to look for lightweight steel road bikes in a $3k price point. I prefer compact geometry (though I'm flexible on this piece of it) and disc brakes as well (though I know the brakes will add to the weight). Additionally, due to some physical issues, I'd prefer clearance for at least a 30mm tire. I am able to build the bike up myself as well, so it doesn't have to be a full-build (though I still need to keep roughly in the price range mentioned).

I've looked at Torelli, IndyFab, Breadwinner, Ritchey, Enigma (in the UK), but I know there must be others I'm missing, so if you have thoughts, I would be grateful. Thanks in advance!