mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I suspect the whole mid USA working over to Chicago and down and across will have busy and or sameness / blah aspects, (have driven a car across the States once, thru Chicago area coming from Vancouver Canada).
I've long described Kansas or Nebraska as best being seen either in excess of 100mph or at about 10mph.

When you drive across, you get the worst of both worlds. Often one ends up on the interstate highway and seems like some of the scenery is similar much of the day. At 100mph+ one is often flying across and missing most of that.

However, at 10mph one often sees a different scenery as well. You take the side roads, go through the small towns and interact much more with people. One can notice little things like kernels of wheat dropped in cracks in the road during harvest season - or subtle changes in both elevation and precipitation that result in rather different landscapes. On different trips I've cycled W-E across South Dakota (once), Nebraska (twice), Kansas (once) as well as S-N from Mexico to Canada via TX/OK/KS/NE/SD/ND and Canada across AB/SK/MB (once) and really enjoyed my rides across these regions. But then I also like riding through deserts as well...
Likes For mev: