Old 02-14-21, 12:43 PM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ElCani
Thanks! The shifters are Suntour 1500. I was wondering whether I could get some Shimano 4500 STIs to work with the FD-C700 front mech, but figured that with mismatched cable pull, dodgy chainline and three shift aid-free chainrings, I was probably pushing my luck. I was then going to buy some BS-77 barcons, but though I’d give these (which I already had) a go first. On realising the downtube was oversized and the band-on clamp was therefore too small, I put them on the toptube and... it’s great! The shifters have cable stops (I’m using a stepped ferrule) and so does the frame, so it’s all good.

Re brakes, my advice would be use whatever you have/like, but note that most drop bar brake levers have the correct pull for cantis. V-brake specific drop bar levers are of course available. I’ve only installed the front Deore LX canti on the Raleigh, but it’s surprisingly good.
Of course, 28.6 top tube, great solution. Purely coincidentally I've found this bike that has a top tube lever; an early drop bar MTB! I've not used cantis before but an tempted to give them a try. It will also make fitting mudguards a bit easier.