View Single Post
Old 02-16-21, 10:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10528 Post(s)
Liked 12,104 Times in 6,195 Posts
While looking for bits for the Cannondale restoration, I spent a bit of time idly checking on other Cannondales of the same era on Ebay. One that I clicked on the listing was an R600 from about the same year. It used the 2.8 frame, which is a bit lighter and more highly tweaked than the 3.0. This year of R600 had RX100 kit like my R500, but with STIs instead of downtube shifters, and a double instead of a triple, and 8 speeds instead of 7. Looks to be in okay shape, all original components, seems not to have been ridden a lot. Back when I bought MY Cannondale, I fantasized about the 2.8 frame, but I couldn't afford more than just the R500 and its 3.0 frame. Seller wants $620 Buy It Now. I saved it in my watch list, just idly toying with the idea, as one does.

Then Sunday, I get an offer from the seller - $80 off. I need another bike like I need a hole in the head I'm already afraid my wife will figure out how much I've spend on bits for MY Cannondale. So, I declined.

Today, he lowered the offer down to $515. This is basically what I paid for the R500 when it was new, 25 years ago. Part of me wants it, the part that fantasized about a 2.8 bike 25 years ago.

We watch collectors joke about hoping our wives never realize just how many we have. But, you know, you can put 100 watches in a dresser drawer (ask me how I know!), whereas a bike is a hell of a lot bigger!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles