Old 02-17-21, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
What type of pedals are you using when you ride in the winter? When riding in the snow do you not find you are having to put your foot down more often due to unstable conditions? I recently picked up a pair of Goretex, water proof hiking shoes figuring I can use them to hike as well as bike in. I'm using flat pedals as I can't even imagine trying to unclip while riding on snowy trails but that's just me.
I use dual sided mountain bike clipless pedals. I use the same pedals off-road during the summer with different shoes and have never had a problem getting a foot down when needed.

When I ride in snow and ice, I keep my foot attached to the pedal and resist the urge to put down a foot just as I resist the urge to “catch myself” in a crash. In neither situation is putting out a hand or foot going to help and are likely to result in a far more serious injury. I’ve learned this the hard way. I was shortcutting through a skate park with snow on it once when I pulled my foot out of my pedal to “catch myself”. I didn’t realized the surface on skate parks are glazed and the bike went one way while my leg went the other. I strained my hamstring and was off the bike for a couple of weeks. This was the day after being cleared to ride following a broken ankle and surgery to remove old hardware.

At least it wasn’t as bad as what happened to a mechanic at my local co-op. He slide on ice while commuting to work. He put his foot out to “catch” him, hit dry pavement while sliding, and folded his lower leg to a 90° angle in the wrong direction...not that there is a “right” direction to fold your leg. He was in traction for 2 weeks, endured multiple surgeries...including one to fix a secondary infection...and spent 9 months off his bike. Had he just ridden the bike down, he would have had some bruises.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!