MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10210 Post(s)
Liked 5,913 Times in 3,188 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Last fall I was dealing with some mysterious pain in my lower back which extended down my legs. Naturally I ignored it and HTFU and soldiered on. By the beginning of the year it got bad enough that I tried taking a week off to no avail and then 2 weeks off. Then my A Fib incident happened and I was dealing with other problems. After 2 and half weeks I did my jailbreak ride and it was worse.

I went to the Orthopedic Doc today and he took an x-ray that showed a compressed disc L5 or 6 can't recall. Not real conclusive but I preferred a conservative approach with methylprednisolone 6-5-4-3-2-1 treatment and see how it goes. If I don't get better, an MRI and possibly an injection to treat the pinched nerve could ensue. At this point I can't remember not being in pain.

I'm hoping to ride at some point. At night it keeps me up and I'm worried about taking much since I'm on the blood thinner. Good times.

An added treat? I just got to unplug a garbage disposal that my wife F'd up for the umpteenth F'ng time. Next house i remove that SOB before I settle in.
#2021'd
Both legs? Doug, if there are really symptom in both legs and it’s a disc, that’s a so-called central herniation, which has some additional implications. If it doesn’t improve soon, get that MRI. Actually, get it anyway. The plain X-ray is no way to diagnose this issue.

Be sure you are on a maximal dose of Tylenol round the clock. Talk to someone who knows what they’re doing about non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with your blood thinner, and if you need an opiate, ask for it. Transforaminal injections can be very helpful and got me through a bad herniation without surgery. A good one will greatly reduce your pain med requirement for about six weeks.

Please excuse the unsolicited advice.