Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_pedro
That comment is so far off, you either misinterpreted my comment or you don't know what you are talking about.

I am doing a hard ride for 1-2 hours burning between 800-1600 Cal, at most two days in a row. How in the world are you comparing that to the energy needs of people doing over 5000 Cal a day for 3 weeks?

And by the way 400 Cal per hour of carbs is right at the limit of what your body can absorb. So actually TdF riders will not consume much more per hour during a stage.

The big difference is that a TdF rider needs to eat a lot off the bike and struggles to absorb enough energy to be recovered for the next day. While I can just do some chocolate milk afterwards, eat slightly more for the next couple of meals and have plenty of time to recover for the next hard workout.

One bottle per hour is nothing crazy in a cool climate with not much sweating. If it is cold I might only drink half a bottle per hour. And for lower intensity rides in 0C-10C weather I might only take a few sips and come home with the bottle almost full after 1.5 hours. These are large bottles though, about 800 ml.
As we used to say, There it is.