View Single Post
Old 03-05-21, 11:26 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8322 Post(s)
Liked 9,132 Times in 4,513 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The Ritchey and Battaglin both have 53/39 cranks and 12-30 10sp cassettes Right up till this year, I was riding the Battaglin with 12-27, and the Ritchey with 8 speeds and 12-25, but I wasn't riding it much - hence the 10 speed conversion. I'd ride it later in the season when I had better legs, but I could handle the half mile climbs I do on my regular Sunday route without too much difficulty. Just a lot of asking

The Bianchi had an FSA Gossamer 50/34 crank which I replaced with a Centaur 50/34, and it's got a 12-27 10sp cassette. It WAS my Mountain Goat, till I got the Canyon. It's got 52/36 and an 11-34 11sp cassette. That 34t is nice to have. I used to grind up Old La Honda (3.1 mi. at 7.4%) at about 55-65 rpm on the Ritchey with the old set up, but now it's no problem spinning 80 rpm on the Canyon. I actually use the 11t cog on descents, not to go terribly fast, but because I find I'm more comfortable pushing a slow cadence between turns, instead of coming out of a turn flailing away like an eggbeater.
I rode with a group 2 weeks ago over the hills with 2 climbs. With the 34x29 low I stayed in front of or close to most of the others on the 9 mile climb. After a few miles descending there is a steeper climb of about 3 miles. Most of them were able to spin away from me in their 34x32 gears. I could still climb it, but had to grind a bit more than the modern bike riders of similar ability.
Of course, if that had been the A group of my old club I would have been dropped on the first climb like a hot rock at a hot rock dropping contest.