View Single Post
Old 03-08-21, 07:55 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I switched over to a fat bike completely. I can tell you that there is a world of difference between the rolling resistance on fat bike tires and fat tire setups. The differences are dramatic. All the way from feeling like you are trying to tow start a bulldozer to gaining speed coasting against your skinny tired brethren. Take the time to set them up properly and they pedal pretty effortless at speed up to about 13-14 mph (20-22 kph). Past this speed and wind resistance becomes much more of an issue. By 18 mph (29 kph) the skinny tired bike is by far easier to pedal and beyond this speed, the drop bar road bike is king.

Wind resistance is the big issue on my bike. It rolls great at slow speeds. I am not in the realm of really going 25 mph (40kph) on a practical basis even with a BBSHD mid drive and huge battery. I know road bikers who ride this fast without electric power. Rolling resistance is not a big issue at higher speed but there are some fat tires out there that will suck as much power as you personally can put out at 20 mph (32kph) without wind resistance. Tread does not seem to make as big a difference as tire construction, tire pressures and rim width.

Last edited by KPREN; 03-08-21 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For KPREN: