LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Thanks for this!

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
A drift is similar to a punch but instead of being used to make an indent for a drill bit or counter sinking finish nails its a bit harder and thicker to whack things with, in this case the end of the bolt that's let if the head comes off.
Not certain what is meant by professionally drilled, it looks like holes in a frame to me. Being a shop tech if I dimpled and then drilled the frame you could claim it is professionally done but it wouldn't mean much. Today, and since at least my 88 DeRose there is a tube that can be run through the frame that your cable housing will run through, it starts and ends at a braze-on that helps hold the tube in place while reinforcing the holes in the frame since the tubing can be thin away from the butting. It also serves to seal the top tube so that water can't pour in the randomly drilled hole. That's just my view. Its a nice frame and should be more then worth riding but I'd want it done right.
Ahh I see what you mean now. Would you have a photo of what the braze on looks like? I will drop by some machine shops and see if they can do something for that.
Definitely agree with you on the "professional" drilling. I meant that statement as satire since I wouldve have preferred those block type brake mounts to keep the frame as intact and original as possible. Im just a bit heartbroken coz I only got to ride her once since getting her and now im even more scared to do further damage.

Originally Posted by Geepig
That is a lot of corrosion in there, and I would be surprised (but pleasantly) if that bolt comes out without drilling. A few solid but careful whacks with a medium hammer of the head of the nut might be good to try and break down the corrosion bonding the bolt to the clamp, then apply the hex tool. I usually would use the hammer with the bike leaning against me to absorb the shocks unless I could find something solid to lean the other side of the clamp against.
Good point, I have an old thick mattress in the backyard. I might just do the hammer work on that one to be safe. Should I be gentle when torqueing the bolt? I mean obviously not trying to be Conan the Barbarian but given the level of corrosion at some point I think it would be safe to stop worrying about rounding breaking the thing?