Old 03-08-21, 04:37 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
What make/material rims are you cracking and what kind of riding are you doing on the bike? Also you say north of 200lb, how far north?

The build seems sound, however, if you have a destructive history I'd be making some changes. First, I'd go for the triple butted Alpine 3 spokes. They'll be more forgiving with the extra flex capability. I'd also consider being very picky about the rim you use. No doubt you've done some research, but Light Bicycle used to do a heavy rider spec carbon rim when I built my track wheels. Only a little more weight, but more material around the spoke area. Not sure If they still do the same, but I'd be looking for a rim that is beefier in that section compared to others, especially with your history. If you continue to crack at the spoke holes then you'd need to give some serious consideration to going to an eyeletted rim or reducing your spoke tension a little and dealing with the little bit of extra flex.

On top of that, also pay consideration to where you're riding and how you're riding. Maybe your style needs some changes to be more sympathetic to your equipment

** I also build my own wheels and while it's not a necessity, the Park Tools spoke tension app is a very hand little tool when it comes to the fine tuning towards the end of the build and in truing a wheel

Last edited by brawlo; 03-08-21 at 05:09 PM.