View Single Post
Old 03-09-21, 02:43 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 91 Posts
Another longer ride yesterday on the Paris-Sport, taking advantage of dry roads after a few days without rain. I left Weston through Locking and Banwell, then went through Sandford, Churchill, Langford, Blagdon, and Ubley before skirting Chew Valley Lake on the way through West and East Harptree. From there it was through Litton, Ston Easton, and Clapton, before joining the NCN24 Greenway in Midsomer Norton. This took me through Radstock, Shoscombe, and Stony Littleton, where I stopped for lunch on a bridge over the Wellow Brook.
After lunch my route went through Faulkland, Norton St. Philip, and Farleigh Hungerford, before taking the canal towpath at Bradford-on Avon.
I followed the towpath through Avoncliff, Limpley Stoke, and Claverton into Bath, went through Bath via the Abbey, and then followed the Railway Path for 15 miles right into the centre of Bristol. Coming off a green cycleway straight into the middle of a big city is always a bit of a surprise, but Bristol now has some good cyclepaths and bus lanes and if you know your way around it's not a bad place to cycle at all.
I left Bristol via the Portway along the Avon Gorge, passing under Clifton Suspension Bridge, and crossed the river via the cycle lane on the M5 bridge (incidentally, having gone through the centre of Bristol without a problem I had a near miss with someone who was taking a short cut on the cycle lane on a motorbike) going through Pill, Portbury, Clapton-in-Gordano, and meeting my wife in Clevedon.

The ride was a little over 80 miles, another day of Spring weather when it's a privilege to be out on the bike in the countryside and seeing the sights.

Chew Valley Lake

Stopped for lunch

Ford near Faulkland - luckily very low after a few dry days,

The George Inn, Norton St Philip. Supposedly haunted, and the scene of one of the Bloody Assizes.

Farleigh Hungerford Castle

Avoncliff Aquaduct, carrying the Kennet & Avon Canal over the River Avon

Bath, Laura Place looking up Great Pultney Street

Bath Abbey

Leaving Bristol on the Portway