View Single Post
Old 03-09-21, 11:42 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 893 Posts
By the time I got everything that wasn't a ride cleared away, sunset was imminent, but temperatures were in the mid-50s, having been even a little higher early in the day, so I gave the GT with the ice bike tires the night off, and took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe with the big, supple Compass Rat Trap Pass Extralights out of the garage instead. Thus mounted, I rode up the Minuteman as far as Lexington Center hunting the sunset and a good time. Found both.

The clear sky conduced to the sort of subtle sunset that seems to make the horizon fluoresce: all color and no shape.

There were only three of us waiting at the light in Arlington Center, a middling fair omen.

On the Minuteman itself, there was the usual cheerful sunset crew.

Between the clear sky and the relatively late start, I felt impelled to race the setting sun, so I cranked along at an enjoyably quick pace, stopping to take a picture from time to time.

Other cyclists, as well as pedestrians and their dogs, began to show lights. So did I.

I turned around at Woburn Street, and the sunset ride morphed into a night ride on a pleasant evening.

The LED art piece turns out to have a name, "Rays of Hope", and an artist, Mark Kriegsman: there was a somewhat unobtrusive sign under the bridge, and the recently aroused dragons of Arlington bureaucracy have started to curl up and go back to sleep.

I pedaled rapidly home in the dark, pleased that ice bike season appears to me to be ending, and I can glide along on light, supple tires again.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-10-21 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For rholland1951: