Old 03-11-21, 12:41 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan_F
I haven't been in a science classroom in a very long time, but your second point doesn't make sense to me. Regardless of the mechanical advantage, a brake converts kinetic energy to heat energy. The only way the mechanical advantage could generate less heat in the pads/rotors during braking is if it sent the energy somewhere else in the system compared to a brake with less mechanical advantage. Am I missing something?
The leverage of a larger rotor means less energy. Remember, Archimedes said "If I had a lever long enough, I could lift the earth." In other words and for experiment's sake, if you had a REALLY large rotor (much larger than your wheel), you could easily stop your wheel with your fingers. Again, if the rotor were large enough. So a larger rotor will require less energy to stop. At least that's my interpretation! (Granted 20mm difference isn't much, but it's still something. That combined with additional surface area makes a difference.)