Old 02-19-06, 02:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
What is the point of AARP, seriously? I called to get information for my parents, who are really struggling right now, and it seemed to be more of a money hungry collection agency than a concerned support group for elderly,struggling adults.

Just wondering.

Koffee
It definitely is NOT a concerned support group!

It has a tremendous lobby in congress for the purpose of advocating for its positions representing "RP's" I guess.

It has a tremendous marketing arm of all sorts of products, upon which it gives its imprimatur, thereby hopefully assuring some minimum level of quality and service. Many folks swear by their Medicare Supplement, for example. Also, thereby, reaping lots of money to the organization.

They have NEVER asked me my opinion on any of the issues for which they advocate. Anyone else here ever been asked? I don't know how they formulate their advocacy stands. In their behalf, however, I have never attended a local AARP meeting, if there are such things. BUt, if there are, I have never been noticed of the meeting.

Nevertheless, I am a member, as I believe that without a strong lobbying arm and representation, "seniors" would get pretty much run over by all of the lobbying by the medical industrial complex, the big employer bunch, the national CofC, etc. I've got to have someone speaking for me, even if I don't agree with them 100% of the time.

But caring, support and concern on a personal basis? Nope. Better a church or the local "Seniors" organization or center.

Just for the heck of it, I just did a search on their web site. This is my closest local chapter:

Chapters Near You
Search Results

Chapter Name: Douglas County
Chapter Number: 005370
Distance: 4.97 miles
Meeting Place: Castle Rock Senior Center
2323 WOODLANDS BLVD
CASTLE ROCK, CO 80104-2853
Meeting Days: 2nd Thursday
Meeting Times: 1:00 p.m.
Closed During: July August

AARP encourages chapters to meet in locations that are physically accessible to all persons, including people with disabilities.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-19-06 at 02:19 PM.