Old 03-18-21, 12:10 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
As mentioned in another thread I am now one N+1 Koga-Miyata richer. Thanks @RiddleOfSteel!

This time a 1992 Koga-Miyata Traveller in a size 66 for the measly sum of €20 + €25 in fuel.

The paint is fairly decent but most of the parts are pretty worn. The seller was getting rid of it since the cost of replacing everything was too much for him.

I'm thinking of turning this one into a gravel/xBiking bike without fenders but with drop bars and fat tyres, similar to what alexnagui 's friend did in post 58. My guess is that 42mm tyres should fit without fenders.
For a moment I was afraid the seatpost was stuck due to oxidation but it came out easily.

The paint is a sweet looking two-tone metallic black with gold flakes in it combined with turquoise blue.

Not sure what the frame differences are compared to the WordlTraveller but it seems like a Shimano Deore DX groupset + SR parts for the Traveller at 15.6 kg (~34 lbs) VS. Shimano Deore LX + Nitto parts at 15.9 kg (~35 lbs) for the WorldTraveller.

Glad you were able to pick it up, Jacco! So cool! And you're welcome, of course.

Crazy to think that the standard weight of various Travellers is well north of 13kg. My '85 Trek 620 is just 1cm shorter with a slightly longer top tube and longer chainstays, and that came to 11kg on the nose. Granted, 32H non-touring wheelset (7400 hubs, MA2 rims, slender butted spokes) and "33mm" (30mm actually) Soma tires do a lot to help the weight issue vs. the 36H heavy, wide touring rims, 36x2 straight gauge spokes, and ~35mm anti-flat touring tires. I'd say there's an easy 1-2kg right there. The rear wheel lock, kickstand, and rear rack also add a good bit of weight. The Deore LX crankset has some weight over my triple-ized 7402 cranks, and that rear cassette likely outweighs my 10-speed cassette by 100g. So now we can get an idea of how the weight delta comes to be.

Looks like you have a lot of elbow grease and paint love to give on this one, Jacco. Super fun project. I'd be curious to see what the frame, fork, and headset (together) weigh. My 620 was a little north of 3.5kg, and I (at least) know that anything with Miyata in the name or build contract meant the frame was stouter than most. Even if this Traveller is a double FM-1 tubing (frame, fork) combination--the best!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: