Old 03-22-21, 08:02 PM
cbg3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
^^You^^ must know the details of the incident since you called the driver a bad name. Please inform the rest of us.
Oh dear. You're right, I did jump to conclusions about the driver whose vehicle was involved in sending Mr. Bradley into a parked car, thus paralyzing him.

So after doing some due diligence, here is the clearest description I could find of the crash: https[DELETE ME]://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/3/22/22344834/collision-with-van-sent-shawn-bradley-bike-parked-car-paralyzed-mavericks-byu-basketball-st-george (Other articles directly quote from the official crash report, which contains sentences like, "The cyclist had impacted the driver side rear bumper of V2 after which the bicycle and cyclist traveled along the top of the trunk and the cyclist continued along the side of V1 causing scratches and several dents to V2") So according to this article, the driver of a van passing Bradley sent him into a parked Saturn, whose passenger-side wheels were “almost touching the curb and there appeared to be sufficient room for the bicyclist to travel between it and the fog line". The driver who passed him says that she could see Bradley as she approached, and that "she passed him going 10 mph and gave him 'plenty of room,' according to the report, and put her driver-side tire between the two sets of double yellow lines." The woman said as she passed the Saturn that she “saw the cyclist flipping forward through the air and landed on (his) back in the roadway”.

After getting out of her van while the guy who was in the parked Saturn calls 911, she leaves the scene of the crash [hmmmmmm.... I think that's illegal in some states] to pick up her kids at school, and then comes back and notices that there's a fresh scratch on the passenger side, which she and the cops think could be from when Bradley's bicycle was struck by her vehicle.

When the cops went back again to talk with Bradley after the first day when he was in the hospital (he didn't recall what happened the day of), he told them that he saw the Saturn parked along the side of the road and was in the process of passing it when the van “made contact with him and sent him into (the Saturn).” According to Bradley's Garmin, "he never went over 14 mph while riding his bicycle that day", and "the bicycle was indeed traveling at a low speed at the time of the collision."

So somehow there was impact between the driver's van, who says she was passing Bradley at 10mph (which is two times fast walking speed) while her driver-side wheels were on the yellow line, and Bradley's bicycle, which never went above 14mph during his entire ride, and the parked Saturn, which had its wheels almost against the curb, leaving "plenty of room" between it and the fog line for Bradley to pass.

Here is the approximate location of the crash, from what I can surmise from the article: https[DELETE ME TOO]://www.google.com/maps/place/N+Country+Ln,+St.+George,+UT/@37.1117002,-113.6289522,166m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1s%22north+country+lane%22+near+%22stonebridge+drive%22+ST.+GEORGE+!3m4!1s 0x80ca44660a377a05:0xe54bffe30f31e9f6!8m2!3d37.1155022!4d-113.6308245