Old 03-29-21, 03:59 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Golden Cheetah is free, open source software for recorded power meter analysis.

It has a ton of charts and data screens to analyze a ride and to track trends over short and long time periods.
I found it pretty easy to get started, mostly using the default settings, and ignoring a lot of the charts.

Then each chart has a settings icon, which is usually quite easy to try different options.

I don't use it for "training", just for "review" of what the season is like, and comparing to previous years. It would work with some of the training books listed on previous comments.

~~~

To get started:
install it. fill in your profile info. Edit it in Tools-->Options
load some recorded rides in the Activity tab.

Now look at individual rides in the Activities tab.
You can edit the ride's name, description, keywords, comments in the left sidebar.
Standard "intervals" show under the ride. Selected peak power time ranges, laps if you have any, climbs. Click the "hamburger" menu icon and select "find intervals" to do custom ranges. Or drag a section of the Ride Stack graphs to make than an interval.

See these charts to start:
* The Map chart with the route displayed. Selected intervals, like climbs or best 5 min power, can highlight on the route line.
* The CP chart, the current ride and seasonal best power numbers for every time interval from a few seconds to the longest ride you've done. See how the selected ride compares to your recent best efforts on short or longer time intervals
* The Ride Stack, with the power, W', heart rate, speed, elevation, etc charts stacked above each other. (I think I changed the setting here to "stacked" instead of "overlay")
* Power-Time scatter. It's a dot for every second of the ride, averaged over a few seconds. Interesting to see the wide range of power numbers changing from second-to-second.
* HrPw Heart rate trends vs power over the course of the ride. It's interesting, but more technical than I need.
And many more charts to explore.

~~~

Also, the Trends tab. A "season" can be just a month or two, or even more than one year.

* A summary page of averages and bests for the season.
* Performance Manager Chart of short term and longer term "training stress". This 2015 PMC youtube video explains this chart (It's based on an earlier, simpler version of the chart, but it's still relevant.)
*Aerobic Power graph. A different color for the best 5,10,20,30,60 minute power numbers for each week. I show multiple years on this.
*Anerobic Power graph. The same thing, for best 5,10,15,20,30,60 second power each week.
And many more.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-29-21 at 05:08 PM.
Likes For rm -rf: