View Single Post
Old 03-30-21, 08:42 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts
Desperately in search of a bottom bracket!

I have a TA Pro 5 triple but no usable bottom bracket. The original TA bb for the crank is Ref. 374 and measures 121.5mm long. Unfortunately, mine is badly pitted along the drive side bearing race. In an attempt to solve the problem, I purchased an early 122mm White Industries adjustable bb from ebay. Turns out that the bb is missing one of two locking collars. An issue that was too easy to miss in the seller's photos. Now I have two unusable bottom brackets, and one stalled our build project.

I'm thinking I can go one of a few ways here if any of you happen to have a good bb candidate to offer.

Most obviously, a smooth Ref. 374 TA spindle (or full assembly) 121.5 mm long would do the trick. Stronglight equivalent also acceptable.

Or...

An adjustable bb within 121 to 123mm such as Phil Wood, White Industries, American Classic, etc.could possibly work if lucky. .

Or a standard bb within said length range, such as an asymetrical Shimano Deore or similar. I know 122.5 mm was fairly common in the Shimano Deore catalog.

And lastly, I could potentially use a pair of loose ball adjustable cups (left and right) in conjunction with an appropriate spindle.

What's important here is that I need English threaded cups, 68mm shell, and JIS tapers (closeted to old TA). Must be between 121 and 124 mm in order to maintain established chainline.

Happy to buy, and I have items which may interest trade.

Here's hoping something is out there that can help get this bike on the road before spring passes!

Thanks all.

Last edited by deux jambes; 03-30-21 at 09:02 AM.