rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked 5,845 Times in 3,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My wife and I debated what constitutes a close pass just this weekend. We both ride on roads regularly and exclusively.

The scenario was a straight, undulating, single lane road with no shoulder. Double yellow center stripe with a speed limit 45 mph and I'm driving. There are no other cars. As we approach a solo rider (who is keeping a nice smooth line just within the fog line), I coast to slow to 30 mph and give him about 3 feet and pass and then begin to accelerate again. Smooth.

My wife comments that I passed too closely, and that I should have moved into the oncoming lane (partially) to give him more room, as an unforeseen piece of debris or stone might've caused him to lurch sideways at the wrong moment. We continued to debate this for the next 5 minutes down the road, alternatively taking the viewpoint of both the rider and the driver. Neither of us yielded in the end.

I wonder what the solo rider thought about it. Likely nothing...

EDIT: To the OP, in 45+ years of riding, I've never been harassed as you just described. Maybe some changes for you are in order?
your wife was more right. Better to give a little extra room than too little. Besides the yellow line is not made of gold. Now tell her she has ally on the board.