View Single Post
Old 04-01-21, 04:56 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by pjcampbell
It seems like people like this Manitou Markhor fork a lot, but without the brake bosses I'd have to upgrade at least the front brakes and front wheel right away. On the Recon silver TK (https://planetcyclery.com/rockshox-r...RoCP_4QAvD_BwE) I could delay brakes and front wheel a while and see if I really like the upgrade. Seems like the Manitou is a little better and a little cheaper though. Lighter too, by a bit.
I did not look for the manual but if that solo air is like my Tora 318 you may be able to configure it for shorter travel or shorter length for closer to original fit. But if it is longer you’d have easy riding with more relaxed ride with the kid. I’d do the fork. Then get the new full suspension bike. If you want better brakes upgrade the wheels and get cable disc brakes. Save the old wheels and brakes for a restoration in 30 years. Hope the shifters and brake levers are separate. May need new brake levers.

When I replaced my last Raleigh/Diamondback broken frame with a Performance Bike frame (Hey I’ve not broken it yet) I had to convert the rear to disc. Still have rim front with the antique Ringle hub. Now like you think I need a full suspension 29er. I like full suspension but never have ridden a 29er on tight single track.