Old 04-05-21, 12:20 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Back in 2014 I bought a Bike Nashbar AL1, which really was a great deal. It had mostly Sora components, ok wheels and brakes. I still own the slightly pork frameset, which is probably a Cannondale, and have "upgraded" to Ultegra brakes, real derailleur, and a carbon seat post.

Last month the left Sora shifter bit the dust, and I was not happy. A new one is hard to find and expensive, and I don't trust the lower level below Sora, after this experience I don't trust Sora.

And lo and behold, 9 speed triple left brifters just aren't there. I ended up buying 105 10 speed left, which works fine and is much better than the Sora.

So I have a $400 bike with $800 worth of upgrades that weighs 21 pounds, lol. I forgot to mention the carbon wheels. Still and all, it's ridden either in the hills or the city, and I love it.

I always check Craigslist for used bikes. I bought my Trek Cronos there for a good price and it's a great bike. The stuff on the showroom floor today for $400-$500 is not worth it, the used bikes can be.
Likes For afm199: