View Single Post
Old 04-06-21, 12:13 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I agree that the biggest difference here would be the brakes.

I have a bike with GRX800 hydro and another with Avid Shorty Ultimate cantilevers. There is no comparison in terms of performance, discs blow even the best canti brakes away. The difference on bone dry aluminum rims and flat roads may be minor, but throw in carbon and/or any kind of moisture, dirt, mud, etc or long/fast descents and there is really no argument to me.

This is not to say that a cantilever CX bike is bad. I own one and will continue to ride it for years. I love how lightweight it is, and relatively simple to work on, etc. There's some nostalgia to canti's as well, and within the confines of a CX course I think there's an argument to me made that canti's are still very capable, and actually force me to brake more smoothly and hold more speed through corners than I might on discs.

But for gravel? No way do I want to be on rim brakes for that. When I'm coming down a rocky/muddy/wet trail or bombing down a fast fire road, splashing through puddles, etc I want to know that I can slow/stop with minimal effort and drama every time.
Man, you had better experiences with cantis than I ever did. Mine shuddered like crazy because my fork flexed, and I found that open pros on a bumpy cross course did not love staying in true, so I either had to run my pads way off the rim or just deal with rubbing. Or, well, true my wheels every ride/race. I put mini-Vs on for about 20 minutes, but I never could get them dialed in right and ditched the whole setup for a disc brake bike.