Thread: Mystery Frame
View Single Post
Old 04-07-21, 05:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
DBR (Diamond Back Racing) was an upscale line from Western States Imports. The earliest confirmed examples that I've seen are from 1994, though it may possibly have existed in 1993. It was originally conceived to promote the team issue models ridden by their ATB team members

In the mid-1990s, WSI offered very few road models in the USA, due to the dominance of the ATB in their domestic market. I have never seen a Strada, prior to these posts. It may be a European market offering, where road bicycles were more popular at the time. While the frames do look Italian, the presence of Columbus tubing does not necessarily indicate Italian or even European origin. Several Asian manufacturers have built with Columbus as early as the early 1980s, including but limited to, KHS, Tsunoda and Pacific.

I realize that this is a zombie thread and that the 2nd DBR is gone but the easiest way to increase confidence level in the suspected Italian origin of the bicycle would be to check for the presence of Italian threading in the bottom bracket shells. The serial numbers may also provide clues to the origin and year.