View Single Post
Old 04-08-21, 07:21 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil
Here are a couple of threads which may or may not be what you’re looking for:

Any Gravel Riders Using Satellite Messengers?

Garmin inReach Mini Satellite Communicator

These mainly have to do with satellite GPS units that don’t rely on cell signals, which are spotty on many of my rides. I’ve been researching this of late. There are many apps and devices that will use a cell signal to send alerts or enable someone to live-track you ranging from free apps to expensive smart watches to the $50 ANGI unit mentioned above which attaches to a helmet and sends an alert if you crash.
Very interesting post and I didn't really think about the chance that cell service could be limited but always a consideration. Something that would have been good to know in my earlier canoe trip days. I am surprised that there is not a bigger demand for this type of thing as people (like us) get older but still want to be active and spend more time pursuing recreational activities.

I don't have an iPhone, iWatch, Garmin or Wahoo device. I ride with my cell phone and run Strava to record my ride. There must be some other type of Android or Apple mobile app. with this feature?

Last edited by gthomson; 04-08-21 at 07:24 PM.