Old 04-11-21, 02:18 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
trying out different wheel sizes front and rear like you've suggested is a bad idea. Small deviations in size can be fine, but trying to mess around with angles by using radically different tire or wheel sizes isn't going to work well at all.

I suggest you stick to the tire size this bike was designed for and enjoy it on a variety of different surfaces as the bike was intended for. It's a very fast and stable ride over rougher terrain and fast tight single track.

Last thing I must add, is that when the original owner of my zaskar built it up, he used a 100mm fork which this geometry of frame is not designed for at all. The fork ended up being severely bent as a result. I would not use any suspension fork on this frame, even if it was 60 or 80mm as designed.
Agree. Based on the geometry, it's not a good idea to be playing with different wheel sizes. Also agree, no suspension forks for this frame again because of the geometry. Just not made for it.

The tires can always be exchanged. If the 35mm road tires don't work out, can always revert back to 2". That's kind of what I like about this build. It's very compliant and I can throw just about anything on there to suit my mood.

Originally Posted by Moisture
The zaskar has a long reach more biased toward single track use
The reach would be long. Compared the geometry to my other road bikes and will use a 60mm stem to get it perfect for the drop bars (stack also considered and perfect).

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I ride 90’s mtb’s. My Serotta is spec’d at 72* head angle, it was 40” WB. But for a road bike, especially wanting one that is aggressive, 70.5* is really slack.

The comparison between my 73* and 74* Cannondales is night and day. My SR400 was kind of a slug compared to my Criterium. I can’t imagine trying to dive into corners with that GT geometry and WB.

John
Yeah. Will be slack for a road bike. However will be comparable to other gravel bikes with a HTA of about 71°.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
You relented on wheels than were not designed for the frame - I suggest you do the same on welding a disc tab on the fork.
Yep. Didn't want to purchase another fork but did it considering safety. Could have welded tabs onto stock GT fork and wanted to, to keep it as stock as possible. But rather be safe. Lucky I found a steel fork with tabs nearly identical to the stock one. Only difference is 395 ATC instead of 400 and 1 1/8 ahead steerer tube instead of 1 1/8 threaded. Needed a new headset and purchased a wolftooth silver. Kinda messed up and should have ordered the pewter (high-polish) but they're out of stock anyway.