View Single Post
Old 04-12-21, 10:35 PM
lajt

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
An ultra lightweight, fast, upright-bar city bicycle with class. The world needs more of this.

Nice work on the build. Have you found the wider bars and long stem to work well with the front end geometry, or does it still turn in like a crit bike?

-Kurt
Hey thanks! Sorry I'm not familiar with the term "crit bike"--does it mean like a oval track bike? Do they have a tendency to turn tightly?
It's a good question about the handlebars with the long stem. I rather blindly chose the longest stem just because I figured I would need the length to offset the sweep back of the mustache bars.
I haven't ridden drop bars since my teen years. That was all I rode on my first Schwinn "ten speed" back in the 80s, then rode a mountain bike flatbar for about 12 years on my commuter bike until I started experiencing wrist pain. A web search in the early 2000s suggested I try mustache bars and it truly eliminated the pain, so it's been my default bar since then. I'm definitely not wedded to them, though, and I'm tempted to try putting a dropbar on here try see how it feels. It would be neat to ride one again after all this time. That will probably be my next project in a year or two on this.
As far as turning, I haven't used it on any windy downhills so it's hard to say. So far it's just been beach bike path, which is fairly straight. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison. It does make me wonder if it would feel different/better--maybe a frame like this is optimized for narrower bars?