Old 04-14-21, 09:13 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I've come across some shimano biopace triples with either 26/36/46 or 28/38/48. Would work fantastic under a variety of riding conditions.

I would suspect the skipping to be caused by other factors such as bent pulleys or derailleur hangar, not a bent chainline.

it can be difficult to get the chainline right when you need to use a spindle which physically leaves the smallest ring with enough room to clear the chainstay. Maybe a double would be a better bet. You could maybe try to adjust the dish on your rear rim. Then you may also be left with the front derailleur not reaching far enough to clear the largest ring.

If you do make it work reasonably well, its a nice setup, because you can comfortably run a super close ratio road cassette in the back yet still have the hill climbing abilities you require.

I'm a big fan of the biopace chainrings on shimanos triple cranks, because the elliptical shape of the ring goes from an aggressive profile designed for climbing efficiency, to less aggressive in the middle ring for flat surface cruising, and then a more subtle feeling in the outermost "sprinting" ring to help you spin quickly. It works very well.