View Single Post
Old 04-15-21, 02:26 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
[QUOTE=cudak888;22016022]Can we get back to talking about bikes and moan about sales and flipping in the Valuations forum where this belongs?

So that's your 1979 DL-1, as purchased, with chaincase, correct? I find it interesting that it's obviously a US-spec model with Rampar logos everywhere, but the chainrugard is isn't US-spec, as if it was added after the fact.

Does it have any "Made in England / Assembled in Canada" stickers similar to the US bikes mentioned earlier? It might explain part of the combination of a US frame with the international-spec transfers on the chainguard.

-Kurt[/QUOTE
This bike was sold in the city of Hamilton ON Canada and little used but stored in leaky sheds and outdoors for years. I bought it from my brother-in law who bought at a Hamilton bar on night in the 90s. It still had the Raleigh branded Coaster tires on it. It was obvious that no one had cared enough about it to modify it. Because the shop was still in business, I called and the owners daughter remembered them selling a very few of these models. The Serial# is N for Nottingham and definitely made in England. Canada had Raleigh Production in Canada from 1973 but most dealers got bikes from both sources depending on their order mix. DL1 were never produced in Canada to my knowledge.
I don't quite understand what you mean by Rampar. That term was never used in Canadian marketing. I assume you mean the stylized R?. Canadian Sports production used that as well. I will check what info I have on the 1977 model I sold as well. I know you have a great knowledge of the Raleigh in America, and I have referred to it often but it often does not jive with Canadian specs.
The only modification I made to "Sir Wayes A. Tonne" was to move the shift cable to the top tube, it did run along the downtube.