Old 04-18-21, 04:25 AM
Miliolid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please help me define HR zones based on exercise test

I've been trying to set my HR zones for my Garmin Fenix 6, but can't quite figure out the right ranges. There are 5 zones. I have a few health conditions, mostly undiagnosed as of yet due to which I can't wear a chest strap not do a maxHR or lactate threshold test. I did have a cardiopulmonary exercise test the other day to figure out what's going on, but it was aborted too early as the technician thought my HR was too high (I told them!), and no lactate was tested due to a mess-up. The interpretation of this has left me even more puzzled, and I wonder how to use the raw data for setting HR zones and for training.

Test:
VT2 at 161bpm according to doctor
VO2max at 28.6

own observations:
It's impossible to run, nor to cycle faster below 161bpm. After a warmup, from this point my breathing becomes relaxed and I can go on for about 8km running or equivalent cycling and then I run out of energy and bonk (that's one of the issues), no apparent lactic acid problems here.
My breathing becomes chaotic and very quick above roughly 180bpm and I can't keep this up for more than 5 minutes. Massive apparent lactic acid buildup. Muscles just stop working and it feels like my body doesn't get the oxygen it needs.
Pretty much all exercise other than a slow, very relaxed cycle ride or walking takes place between 160-182bpm, usually in the upper part, regardless of how fit I am.
In the past I attempted HRmax tests in spinning classes but never made it to the end of the 'all out' intervals. Highest HR there was 202. I've seen 204 in the past, and I guess my actual max is still higher. HR is not out of control but comes down quickly as soon as I slow down, and goes up as I speed up again. I don't think this is POTs.
220-age would put my max at 173, hence the need to set custom zones.
VO2max from the exercise test corresponds to my own observations. But I can't go 'all out' for more than 5 minutes or so as my muscles simply give up.
-> based on my own observations I would say my VT2 is at around 180bpm, not at 161. There's also a strong infliction point in the data.
-> But how would that correspond to the 5 HR zones that Garmin uses?

Can anyone help?
I've attached some plots from the exercise test, and can generate other plots when needed. VT(test) or stippled line is interpretation by doctor, VT (observation) my own guess. Peak(ish) where the test was aborted, but I could have gone on.
First plot: Doctor interpretation, second: my attempt at tying own observations to VT2. Third: something I've been playing with as I'm totally dependent on carbs and crash if I eat too much protein or fats (not relevant here), and mostly a sumary

Last edited by Miliolid; 04-18-21 at 04:34 AM.