Old 04-20-21, 08:53 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
In this case I would make my decisions based on traffic volume, based on mirrors. In light/no traffic I would probably ride in the center of the lane to avoid potholes and move right to the shoulder line when a vehicle approached to pass. Using the mirror I can tell (usually) if that vehicle has seen me as they tend to veer out somewhat to give me room. If I don't see that happening I get ready to bail to the shoulder. That veer/yield is a good compromise on both parts. I also use my hand to indicate what I want the car to do - held out and sweeping forward lets the vehicle behind know I see them and want them to pass.

I would not hold the center of the lane without yielding simply for self preservation. If the vehicle does not see me (distracted driving) and I notice that at the last moment, it's pretty hard to bail out to the shoulder from the center in a controlled way. That is the part of taking the lane that is rarely discussed. The claim of right to ride has no real protective teeth for the cyclist other than a styrofoam helmet. The driver has 2000lbs of car, bumpers and airbags. I ride defensively and do not leave my safety blindly in the hands of every random driver based on priciple.

Also, taking the lane in light traffic and holding it could be more dangerous IMO than yielding it. Imagine if the two semis are coming up behind at 50-60 mph onto a bicycle in the center of the travel lane and then have to cross completely into the opposite lane to pass because the rider refuses to yield. Perhaps they will cross completely or perhaps they will pass close in a passive aggressive reaction to their perception of the riders obstinance. In either case, being closer to the shoulder and signalling intent is safer for the rider as they can again bail if they see the trucks attempting to pass too close.

I faced a similar road in Manitoba one morning that had me worrying for a few miles. This was the "Red coat Trail" out of Souris that I anticipated following for several hundred km's. Two lanes and only loose sloughy gravel for shoulders that was unrideable. In heavy two way traffic I would have to pull off and stop for traffic to pass, but fortunately traffic was light and a shoulder appeared at the Saskatchewan border.

I can't post a pic but here's a google link to that section of road in Manitoba. The gravel is loose and about 6 inches deep: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.57693...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-20-21 at 08:56 AM.