Thread: Bike Rack
View Single Post
Old 04-20-21, 01:49 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
The person said the rack should be high enough for the wheels to not drag the ground. With a tray rack, the wheels will not be what drags. That is what I said. The statement by the person I quoted was talking about damaging the bike wheels. That won't happen with a tray rack. Sure, you could possibly drag the rack, but the frame that runs under the trays will hit, and not the tray. For it to even hit the square tube that the bike tray itself sits on, you would first have to drag the main tube that comes out off the receiver. If you hit something with it hard enough to damage the bike, you worked hard at it, and you deserve your prize.

Also, if you don't know how to drive, and actually pay attention to what you are doing, totally oblivious to the fact you have a rack on your bike, you may want to turn in your license. I'm sorry if you had trouble. I have not, in all the years I have used a tray type rack. Once again, look at the first sentence in this paragraph.
Your info was spot on, I'm not denying that. I just wanted to interject that the tray rack method is not without its own risks of damage when backing up. And it doesn't take being "oblivious" to the fact you have a rack on, to make a simple mistake. There's gray area between being totally oblivious and not knowing how to drive, and being at the elite level of driving such as yourself.

There's "plenty" of roof rack owners who have driven into their garage with the bikes on top; should their driving licenses be revoked as you suggested?