Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Funny post. Get a gauge.

I inflate my tires, verify with gauge. All my floor pumps read differently vs the gauge. Specialized Air Tool, Lezyne steel, and the third, just got can't remember the model.

Lexzene always reads low so I inflate a bit more. Check with gauge. Checking with my gauge doesn't lose air vs attaching pumps. Though, if I am real careful and steady attaching, no air loss. Pull head straight off after inflation, just a hint of a hiss. No biggie.
Makes sense, assuming the gauge has an air release button, so you can make it a habit to intentionally over-inflate with the pump, and then use the gauge to release down to desired pressure. Otherwise you're playing a game of attaching pump and guessing how much to add after having read the gauge, and then we're back to wondering how much air is lost attaching that pump?

FYI, I think no matter how careful you are attaching your pump, you'll lose some air into at the least the pump's hose -- I think that's unavoidable, unless you're talking about a minipump that attaches right at the base of the pump and has no hose.