View Single Post
Old 04-27-21, 03:30 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
2)The wide flange helps in that it increases spacing between holes, but the flange needs to be strong enough to resist radial tearout and circumferential cracks from one hole to another, meaning extra metal radially outboard, and high strength aluminum, and still, aluminum has poor fatigue life, most especially in tension. Also, the only radial spokes above that are sound are the ones between the lightening oval holes on the flange; Those pulling directly across that oval hole are putting a ton of radial bending load on the flange there, and it's just not designed for it, it will fail.

Tangential lacing came about for a reason, it's so much stronger with respect to the hub flange, and the longer spokes ride better, and stay in true longer because of the bending tension on paired spokes due to lacing.... I want 32 or 36 hole, 3 or 4 cross lacing
Sound reasoning. Of course the overarching question on a wheel like that is "Why?"

When I first started riding 32's I thought I could feel the difference between a 32 and a 36, other things being equal (which of course they aren't). I still think so. But has it ever made any difference in my riding? Nah. Were I competing would it have made any difference? Nah.