View Single Post
Old 05-01-21, 04:53 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I'm putting together a Sram Force AXS ETap group. I know that the 12 speed AXS cassette I'm going to use (10-36) uses an XDR freehub. I'm looking at a set of wheels with DT Swiss 350 hubs that are available and would suit my needs well. The rear is 12x142 thru axle with centerlock disc, which is what I need.

But they have an XD freehub. I know that the XDR is a little longer than XD, it is the same dimension as the Shimano/Sram 11 speed freehub while the XD is the same dimension as the Shimano/Sram 8/9/10 speed freehub. I know that if the freehub was Shimano 11 speed it would likely be simple swap.

It's a brand new wheel, a takeoff being sold.

So my question is- will converting the XD freehub to XDR be feasible? Any chance it will be a straight swap? If it's more complicated than that, would it be more than a (relatively) simple re-dish?

​​​​​I can't seem to find the answer at the DT Swiss site, and don't know who actually built the wheel (it's not a DT Swiss wheel).
I've been looking around the web and can't seem to find a clear answer. There's a lot of answers to converting from Shimano 11 speed to XDR, etc, but not this.

I appreciate any advice!
Yes, it is is feasible, and easily achieved. DT Swiss wheels use endocarps end caps to achieve the spacing...or to convert a wheel from QR to TA. Swapping is as simple as pulling off the installed freehub and pushing the new one back on using the supplied endocarps to keep the hub at the proper spacing. No tools required...just make sure when you pull it you don't lose the springs that engage the ratchets. This search at Jenson turns up the DT Swiss free hubs they sell, click on the XDR and select "12x142/148 End Caps" on the product page.

Last edited by Badger6; 05-01-21 at 11:53 PM.