Old 05-04-21, 05:16 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottJ175
Newbie to the forum. Subscribing to this thread. Can't link my intro yet but short version is back around late March my 15 year old mentions an interest in mountain biking in front of a friend of mine. Friend says he can have his old Mongoose full suspension since he has health issues preventing riding any more. Since this is the first non-video game interest my son has had I went all in and went on a bit of a buying binge. Got myself a 2013 Diamondback, an early 2000s Specialized Vita for the wife (and shortly thereafter a new-ish Schwinn GTX3 hybrid because she liked the color). I then appropriated my brother's old Kulana single speed cruiser because it's been gathering dust since 2017.

My taste in cars trends to pre-owned "hoopties" so makes sense my taste in bikes would too. Have my eye on a vintage Trek Antelope for $100 negotiable on my local Facebook marketplace with the thought of throwing touring tires on it as a multi-speed paths bike. Only things slowing my roll there are thinking about all the money I've already dumped into this new hobby recently and also starting to run out of space.

But.....I just can't help it. So if you all will forgive me asking without reading all 570 posts in the thread other than Marketplace and Craigslist what other sources are you using to find good deals in this crazy post-Covid market? What I'm seeing is that values are few and far between. Most asking prices are rather inflated.
Please tell us what Hooptie you have, I'm fascinated knowing, I use to have a small collection of classic cars but I sold them all a couple of years ago, mine weren't worn out or Caddies either, but of course I'm interested in this sort of stuff. I almost bought a rat rod that was very nice for not a whole lot of money, but I have no place to keep it anymore and I got tired of dinkin with cars after 50 years of doing that.