Old 05-04-21, 09:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by opusbike
In mountain biking, the 1 x 8/9/etc is becoming more popular. I am wondering why I haven't heard of anyone going to 3 x 1 (3 speed in front, one in rear). Can this be done? When I go biking with my kids, I usually don't touch the rear gear, I just change the front one. This avoids me having to keep on shifting.
1- for MTB, a smaller front ring leads to less interference when rolling over rocks, stumps, etc.

2- a 1x10 system gives you 10 options to match the cadence you want for the terrain you happen to be riding at the moment(up hill, down hill, etc). A 3x1 system would give you only 3 options to match the cadence you want to the terrain you happen to be riding.

3- why do you only change the front derailleur when riding?...the rear allows for smaller changes. I can't remember the last time I was in 50-18 and thought to myself that I need to be in 34-18 immediately.
Likes For mstateglfr: