Thread: Total Geekiness
View Single Post
Old 02-21-06, 12:38 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A question and congratulations.

First, Way to get that $30 gift certificate dlwilson42! I just did the same thing on another forum with a review on the Trailtech light.

Which brings me to my question. I have a Trailtech light with the controller (lets you use 11.1 v batteries to 14.8 v. Anyway, I get thinking, what if on one of these all night Brevet rides I have a battery problem and need to use alkalines? So I decide to make a battery pack for alkalines. Anyway, 8 cells won't get the light to light for some reason (12 volts right?), but 10 cells will (15 volts). I figure there must be some resistance in the cheap battery pack maybe. My question is if the 15 v will hurt the light. On the website they make a comment about the ballast needing to have less than 15.5 volts so I assume I am OK and they just list 14.8 volts as the top end because that is the highest voltage battery they carry before crossing the 15.5 v threshold. Anyone know if I am seriously going to goof up my light doing this? It seems to me 10 c cells should power that light for around 8 hours or so.

By the way I am talking about C cell alkaline batteries.

Incidentally if you want a really nice battery bag, Performance has some on sale (they are what they would call underseat bags). I used the longer variety and it will go upside under your top bar so the strap omes up around the bag and over your bar, then the seatpost strap can go around your headset tube. The one I got holds a 10 c cell battery pack quite nicely.

Last edited by Paul L.; 02-21-06 at 12:45 PM.