View Single Post
Old 05-05-21, 10:35 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by LenniePaz
The cable with the outer casing, goes into the top of the stem, and just the wire cable comes out the bottom. Does that matter when getting a new one?
I suppose it does. As others have said, if you raise the bars, you will (likely) need longer cables. Inner AND outer. But, as you say, because of the housing stop on the front brake (rear as well probably) the inner core is considerably longer than the outer housing. I just took a look at your bike. Those old steel threaded headsets and the complimentary stem technologies don't have a ton of adjustment possible. You have to keep a certain minimum of stem inside the headtube (around 2") and I'll bet money you are close to that right now. What you probably need is handlebars with more 'rise' than the present ones. You will still (likely) need longer cables. And to the point of post #5 ... classic geometry for those hybrids has the top of the handlebars right at the height of the saddle, plus or minus one inch.You risk looking like a total wuss (if you are a guy) with your bars much higher than an inch above seat height. HTFU and use the savings to buy fresh brake pads, the ones on the bike are (likely) dried out. If you are a gal, please forgive my display of mouth-breather insensitivity and sexism and raise away.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 05-05-21 at 10:41 AM.
Likes For Leisesturm: