Old 05-07-21, 01:19 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Gravel Bike as a Comfortable (Mainly Road) Bike

I have a road bike that I ride frequently, and with its 25mm tires it's just for road rides. Uber comfortable as it's custom geometry, but limited to paved roads...which at some times of day can be a pain due to traffic, or other reasons.

I have a gravel bike with 40mm tubeless tires, that I bought for 4 riding purposes

1) I have some gravel trails by my house...about 6-8ft wide, multi-purpose, lots of ups/downs and turns, surface is very easy on the body (no rocks/roots), and I can get in a 1-2hr ride depending on number of side trails I take, paved connectors, etc. This continues to be my #1 reason for said bike.
2) As a road bike during the winter, when the roads are 'safe' and the weather not too harsh. I live outside Toronto so it does get cold, and we get snow, but surprisingly--and with a little planning--I can usually ride 4-12x per month in the winter. The bike is carbon so less worry about frame and salt (though the whole bike still gets cleaned after a cruddy ride), and the 40mm tires with light tread are good even in light snow (when you come across it, unplanned). This gets of me off the trainer and into fresh air.
3) For rail trail riding (2 separate trails not far from home). Haven't done much of this in 2021 but it's a nice option when it's windy out (they're sheltered), or traffic on roads is busy given time of day. I can ride to the trail head, or drive and make it 100% rail trail ride. Just seems so repetitive and not as fun as other riding.
4) Gravel roads...which usually become a mixed surface ride, with paved and gravel, and even a bit of rail trail. Lately the gravel roads in my area have felt harsher than normal (some re-graded), and as such I've not been enjoying them as much.

Lately I've been opting for the gravel bike even if I'm planning to ride 90% on paved roads. I have some shortcuts I take out of town that are not on roads, are fun, and the gravel bike excels. These are not gravel roads...just little paths between areas that may be gravel, but also a bit of grass/dirt, wide sidewalks that are paved like roads, etc. I don't usually ride my road bike in this way, but the gravel bike is fun for such connectors, between paved roads, and can include the gravel trails I mentioned in 1 above, and then on paved roads. I end up being on paved roads 90% of the time on such rides, but my way out of town is far safer, more scenic (closer to forests), and a good way to those country paved roads that have less car traffic. And I love that I have so many options for routes, and decide on the fly. But, sometimes I avoid the gravel on these rides and stick to the very comfortable pavement thanks to the tubeless 40mm tires. So, I'm not hardcore gravel roads, singletrack, jeep/B roads, but it's really fun and versatile...anyone else find themselves riding this way (vs. seeking out 'gravel' just because you have a gravel bike)?
Likes For Noonievut: