Old 05-07-21, 06:14 PM
tahlwin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tips for Hillsboro>Cape lookout>Astoria, OR casual tour?

Hi there!

I'm finally vaccinated and am happily planning a tour to camp around for around 5-10 days in the coming weeks. I'll primarily be shooting for hiker/biker campsites along the way.

My plan so far is:
  • Nestucca river road trail
  • (Possibly) Ride 101 from Cape Lookout up to Astoria?-- I'll likely stop along the way and take my sweet time. If there's any opportunities for a boat ride, or less time spent on the side of a highway I'd gladly take them as well.
  • Once in Astoria I tentatively plan to take the Banks Vernonia path back home.

I've done quite a few 50 mile+ day rides and have gone on overnight loaded camping trips, but this will be my first larger (and solo) trip. If you all have any tips or suggestions for the route it would be much appreciated-- I'd like to avoid time spent nervously walking my bike off the highway or dealing with speeding cars around blind corners with no shoulder.
    I hope to minimize sketchiness, maximize safety, and hopefully grab many burritos and sights along the way.

Also If there is any compelling reason to stop short of Astoria, or to head instead head south Nestucca along the coast, and then into Salem and back up then please let me know. Both directions sound appealing to me.

Thank you for your time!