Old 05-08-21, 12:56 PM
spooks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S-Works Tarmac SL6 - New build Bottom Bracket problem!!

Hi all,

I'm after some advice on a problem that I'm having with my new bike build. Spec is as follows: -

S-Works Tarmac SL6 Frameset
SRAM Red AXS groupset
Ceramic Speed BB30 for DUB bottom bracket

The problem I'm having are very bad creaking noises from the Bottom Bracket. The first time this occurred was after about 20 miles on my first ride. Up to that point is was whisper quiet. I initially tried removing the BB, re-gresing and re-installing it. This helped a bit but quite quickly the noises came back. I thought it may be the Hydraulic cable rubbing or interfering with the BB so I tried routing the cable above the BB and below it, doesn't seem to make a difference. I also called Ceramic Speed and they suggested it might be the dust covers. This led me onto getting a replacement for the BB for another new Ceramic Speed one - I got the same issue after the first ride! So this probably rules out an issue with the BB.

I torqued the BB up to the required 40nm and used 1x 3mm spacer on the drive side (riders right side I assume). I also used the pre-load tensioner as advised by Ceramic speed. The bearings still seem to run quite smooth on the BB, although I'm not convinced they are perfect. I watched a YouTube video of ceramic speed installing the BB and I followed the same procedure with the same tools. Something must be fundmentally wrong with how I'm installing this surely otherwise I wouldn't have issues on two BB's..... Ideas very much welcome!!

Thanks all in advance....