Old 02-21-06, 03:10 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruiser2
I think he meant triple clamp. And instead of trying to make him look like a dumbass you could have just taken what he said and let it go since you obviously knew what he meant.
He meant tripple crown. You think he meant triple clamp. Both terms are incorrect. Others are obviously confused about the proper terminology also. Despite the pedantic tone of Hank's reply, he was trying to teach you guys something.

But I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness, so here goes: The part of the fork that attaches the stanchions to the steerer tube is known as a "crown." Some forks have only one. They're known as "single crown" forks. Some forks have two, and they are known as "dual crown" forks. The term "triple clamp" is (I think) a carryover from motorcycle terminology, and is synonomous with "crown." To avoid confusion, I have found it is best to avoid the term "triple clamp" altogether when referring to mountain bike forks, but if you must, "double triple clamp" is technically correct when describing dual crown forks.

Hope this helps.