Old 05-11-21, 08:32 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
Originally Posted by drbarney1
While I question the tight fitting shirts and shorts which might have a minuscule aerodynamic advantage approaching that of wearing a g-string, I am open to considering something as functional as cycling shoes.
When I returned to riding as an older adult, I started off in regular shorts and tee shirts. Then I tried bike shorts and found them to be much more comfortable. Now I never wear anything else. It has nothing to do with aerodynamics. It's purely about comfort.

I still ride in tee shirts at times if just riding around the neighborhood for an hour or so in the evening, but for longer rides during the day I find that jerseys are much better at wicking sweat. In my climate a tee shirt becomes soaking wet fairly quickly. At which point it feels a lot tighter than any jersey I've ever worn. And the rear pockets on jerseys are handy on longer rides. And even on shorter rides in pollen season when it's real nice to have kleenex handy.

Shoes are a must for me because I need the stiff soles. I simply can't keep my feet flat on my own accord. If you don't have that problem and you aren't going for speed I think they're the least necessary item of biking specific gear.